1. Scholarship available: The Moorestown Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 109 Scholarship application is now available. Five $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to a 2011 graduating senior who is a Moorestown resident. Applications must be completed and returned by May 6.
Applications should be placed in a sealed envelope and submitted to the attention of Patrolman Pete Parker, , 1245 N. Church St., Suite 2, Moorestown. Applications can be dropped off at the Moorestown Police Department between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For questions regarding the scholarship, contact Parker at 856-914-3053 or email email@example.com.
2. Get healthy at the mall: Members of the Lourdes Mallwalkers Club are invited to free health sessions at the Moorestown Mall. On April 18, the health session will be General Chair Exercises with Resistance Bands from 9 to 11 a.m. (mini 10-minute classes at 9:30, 10 and 10:30 a.m.). Resistance training can increase bone density to help combat osteoporosis and improve posture, flexibility and balance, circulation, and range of motion. Dress comfortably. Registration is not required; Lourdes will provide free resistance bands. The classes will be held at the mall entrance near .
The mall opens to walkers at 7:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday and at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays. Mall maps are available at the Customer Service Center. Call 1-888-568-7337 to register and learn more about the health sessions.
3. Singing and dancing: The Friends Enrichment Program will hold its 2011 Music and Dance Medley at 3 p.m. April 17 in the dining hall/commons of .
The FEP Dancers, ages 5 and up, will perform under the direction of their teenage leaders: Ashleigh Cartwright, creator, director, and choreographer of the FEP Introduction to Ballet Class; Alicia Hutchinson, choreographer and leader of Rhythms of African and South American Inspiration; and Désirée Williams, Praise Dancing choreographer and leader.
The cast includes Alex Harbet and Jozi Hardee (voice); Sophy Gamber (voice and guitar); Chiara Cocelli (cello); Sydney Cortes, Julia Henskens, Abrial and Breana Cocelli (piano); Tiara Bell, Nancy North, and Karina Santos (violin); Tiara Bell, Justin Trent-Nugent, and Waqar and Adil Ahmad (drums).
The event is free, but freewill donations will be accepted. Proceeds benefit FEP scholarships.
4. Get healthy: will celebrate Healthy Kids Day from 1 to 5 p.m. April 16 at its Mt. Laurel branch, located at 59 Centerton Rd. in Mt. Laurel, and Riverfront branch, located at 302 Commerce Square Blvd. in Burlington.
This free, fun-filled event fosters an awareness of the importance of physical activity and how much fun it can be for the whole family.
The spring festival highlights the wide array of wellness activities and youth sports available to children and families at the Y and features interactive games, program demonstrations and a summer camp registration sale. Additional attractions include Family Swim, a Zumba-thon, rock-climbing wall, a moon bounce and healthy refreshments.
For more information, call 856-234-6200 or visit ymca-bc.org.
5. Perkins receives grant: has received $25,000 in funding support from the Campbell Soup Foundation. The money will be used as scholarships for Camden children between the ages of 5-11 in . Scholarships include full tuition support, round trip transportation, a daily snack and healthy lunch.
For 25 years, our Summer Arts Camp has provided children an engaging and safe recreational experience centered on creative play, professional arts instruction, and social and arts enrichment. This summer’s theme is “Imagination Encircles the World.” Camp is offered in four two-week sessions beginning June 27. The camp is offered from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday at Perkins Center for the Arts in Moorestown. A full-day option is available through collaboration with the .
Approximately 250 children participate each summer, and nearly half of these children are Camden residents who attend on scholarship. Funding from Campbell Soup foundation is covering 70 percent of the scholarship expenses. Additional funding is currently being sought to cover the remaining 30 percent of scholarship expense.
Please visit perkinscenter.org/what_we_offer/summer_camp for more information and to register for our half-day or full-day camp. Or contact Kate Popelak at: 856-235-6488, ext. 314, firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor a camper.