UPDATE: Here's an updated list of everything that's closed/cancelled Monday:
- The Community House is closed Monday and Tuesday.
- All township offices, including the library
- All Burlington County government offices, as well as county transportation, recycling and senior meals programs
- Our Lady of Good Counsel School will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Moorestown Friends School will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- The Moorestown Mall will be closed Monday.
- The Republican Party town hall scheduled for 8 p.m. Monday at the Community House has been cancelled.
- All state offices will also be closed Monday due to the storm, and PATCO is suspending its rail service early Monday morning.
- The Dance Lab, on Camden Avenue, will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
Representatives from several township agencies and organizations held a briefing Sunday afternoon to discuss preparations for Hurricane Sandy's imminent arrival.
Moorestown Police Sgt. Lee Lieber, the township's emergency management coordinator, said the township is all well-prepared as it can be as emergency officials brace for the storm.
"We feel we're prepared, but we're facing Mother Nature and it's an unknown," he said.
He advised residents to stock up on supplies now, and hunker down once/if things get really bad tomorrow.
"Stay off the road, stay home, don't take any chances, and be safe," said Lieber.
Township officials made the following decisions during Sunday's briefing:
- Trash pick-up has been suspended for the week and will resume Monday, Nov. 5. Residents need to keep garbage cans inside during the duration of the storm.
- Halloween trick-or-treating has been moved to Friday, Nov. 2.
- The township council meeting—originally scheduled for Monday night—has been moved to 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 1 (in the IT room at the high school).
Lieber said a decision about whether to close township offices, as well as the library, had not yet been made.
A few other important updates:
- Moorestown Township Public Schools will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Moorestown Friends School is not in session Monday due to a faculty in-service day. There are many extracurricular and athletics activities taking place on Monday however. If those activities are cancelled, a phone message will be sent at approximately 8 a.m. to home phone numbers of school families. Delays and closings are also posted immediately on the Moorestown Friends School website and updates are provided on the main switchboard—856-235-2900, press "1."
- The Our Lady of Good Counsel parish office will be closed Monday and Tuesday, and 6:30 a.m. lauds are also canceled Monday and Tuesday. School officials haven't decided yet whether to close the school.
- As of now, the Moorestown Mall will maintain its normal operating hours Monday. The mall posted a message on its website advising patrons they were keeping an eye on the weather and would provide an update if that changed.
Know about another closing? Have a business in town and want to let your customers know you'll be closed—or open—during the storm? Email editor Rob Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org. And stay safe.