.
News Alert
Top 20 High Schools In New Jersey; Cherry Hill…

Applause Greets Browning-Hess Farm Preservation

Moorestown agrees to pay 20 percent of preservation costs, with Burlington County kicking in the remainder.

With unanimous approval from Town Council and two hearty rounds of applause, a vote Monday ensured that the Browning-Hess Farm will be preserved from development.

Town Council voted to kick in 20 percent of the preservation costs, a figure Burlington County requested. The county will pick up the remaining 80 percent.

All told, Moorestown will pay $467,310 to preserve the 42-acre working farm on Lenola Road.

Residents reacted with enthusiastic approval to the move.

“This is one of the prize acquisitions of this township,” said Barbara Rich, Environmental Advisory Committee member and liaison to the Open Space Committee. “The county is to be commended for putting forth their agreement because we are not in the farm belt of the county program. But they realized the value of this historic farm.”

Mayor John Button concurred, calling the move “awesome.”

“To keep it just as it is, is incredible,” Button said.

The resolution approving the spending is one of the final steps in the preservation process before the deal is finalized. 

The preservation agreement keeps the land as a working farm. The Browning-Hess Farm has a , and is the oldest working farm in the township. Four generations and counting of the Browning-Hess family have farmed the land. 

Earlier, after the family had reached a deal with the county, David Hess, who owns and operates the farm with wife Debbie and his children, grandchildren and mother-in-law, said the family was “very excited and thrilled” by the preservation. The deal means the family will continue its legacy.

“That has been our dream,” he said.

Happy Republican June 28, 2011 at 01:54 PM
Great job to Town council! This is fantastic! Takes away any plans for major developments and headaches for the future.
Mrs. Chris Fisher (nee:Rauffenbart) June 29, 2011 at 02:00 PM
Congratulations, Dave and Debbie! You well deserve it! It's about time someone realizes the value of your land! There's no land like yours in Pennsauken, where we live!
dianne June 29, 2011 at 02:14 PM
Keep on growing Debbie! California has lots of wonderful produce but no Jersey tomatoes and corn like yours!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something