All this week, Our Lady of Good Counsel will mark Catholic Schools Week, beginning with an open house today at the Early Childhood Center.
The school will hold a second open house from 9 to 11 a.m. Monday for grades 1-8. Prospective parents will have the opportunity to walk through the school and speak with staff and current parents.
The fun stuff (at least from the students’ perspective) comes later in the week, with a “Buddy Lunch” for kindergarten and eighth-grade students and a Family Feud-style competition between grades on Tuesday, a spelling bee Wednesday, Student-Teacher Day on Thursday (in which students dress and act as teachers for the day) and a pep rally on Friday.
The school will also recognize several individuals throughout the week, including presenting the Graduate of the Year award to alumnus Jo Lomurno Damato (’89), who has been recognized in the field of aviation for her many accomplishments, particularly for her involvement with the Sky Hope Network. The Sister Michael Vincent Award will be presented to Rosemary Conners, a former religion and language arts teacher.
Read on for the full schedule of events for Catholic Schools Week:
Sunday, January 27
- Noon-2 p.m. — Early Childhood Center Open House, 32 W. Main St.
Monday, January 28
- 9-11 a.m. — Open House Grades 1 – 8, 23 W. Prospect Ave.
- 1:15 p.m. — Gym assembly, presentation of Graduate of the Year to Jo Lomurno Damato (’89). Damato has been recognized in the field of aviation for her many accomplishments and in particular for involvement with Sky Hope Network.
Tuesday, January 29
OLGC Spirit Wear Day
- Noon — Buddy Lunch (Grades K and 8)
- 1:15 p.m. — Gym assembly, classes compete playing Family Feud
Wednesday, January 30
- 10 a.m. — School Mass and Presentation of the Sr. Michael Vincent Award to Rosemary Conners, main church. Conners taught seventh and eighth grade Religion and Language Arts at Good Counsel School for 23 years from 1989 until her retirement in 2012.
- 1:15 p.m. — Gym assembly, School Spelling Bee Contest
- 7 p.m. — PTA Meeting, cafeteria (speakers: Pastor Father Damian McElroy, Principal Jerome McGowan, student program)
Thursday, January 31
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. — Student-Teacher Day (students dress as their favorite teachers and lead the classes)
Friday, February 1
- 1:15 p.m. — Student Pep Rally — Cheerleaders and sports teams lead the fun and games in the gymnasium.
For more information about Catholic Schools Week and Our Lady of Good Counsel, click here.